lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 13:23:11 -0500 (EST)

Tom,
can you reach basic html  gmail with that user agent command?
I am trying to figure out how to test all that smiles.

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, Tom Masterson wrote:

Another option is to use the -useragent command line switch. This brings back the links as well as many other things. The line I use is:

lynx -useragent="mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS x 10_8_0) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.79 Safari/527.1

Tom
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, Ian Collier wrote:

 On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 08:21:23AM +0100, Dick Sterkenburg wrote:
> what is the meanig of the ctrl-v option, why does it bring the links > back?

 I do not know the full details about what this does, but the help in
 lynx.cfg for this option states:

 If TAGSOUP is set, Lynx uses the "Tag Soup DTD" rather than "SortaSGML".
 The two approaches differ by the style of error detection and recovery.
 Tag Soup DTD allows for improperly nested tags; SortaSGML is stricter.

 The issue is that Lynx thinks the tags in Google search results are
 improperly nested, and therefore from the above description "Tag Soup"
 is going to display them better than the strict mode.

 In fact, they are not improperly nested according to current standards.
 The issue is that the <A> tag which links the results contains two <DIV>
 tags containing, respectively, the title of the link and its URL.

 In HTML prior to 5, <A> elements were not allowed to contain block
 elements such as <DIV>, and Lynx was written to this standard.
 However, in HTML 5, the content model of the <A> tag is "transparent"
 which means it is allowed to contain whatever the parent element may
 contain.  In most cases, this means that <A> tags are now allowed
 to contain <DIV> tags.

 So this is something that the Lynx developer could consider fixing,
 though I'm not sure how involved that would be.

 imc