lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:15:03 +0100

Hello.

Fadi Barbàra wrote in
<address@hidden.domain>:
 |I am using lynx for my day to day browsing. Recently I started to use
 |TOR. I am using the developing branch of lynx, so that i can use the
 |option -socks5-proxy.
 |
 |I wanted to compare the socks5 option of lynx with the torsocks option.
 |Unfortunately, the command
 |
 |    lynx -socks5-proxy=127.0.0.1:9050 $site
 |
 |does work, while the command
 |
 |    torsocks lynx $site
 |
 |does not. I think there is a DNS problem in the latter case: when I use
 |the command
 |
 |   torsocks lynx 79.125.108.55
 |
 |(a Duckduckgo ip address) lynx finds the site, but then it prints the
 |message "Alert: impossible to access document" when it is redirected.
 |
 |I think I have a problem with lynx, because e.g. the command
 |
 |    torsocks curl duckduckgo.com
 |
 |works as expected. Have you some ideas on how to debug it?

I exclusively use lynx via

  exec lynx-redux -socks5-proxy=localhost:42021 "$@"

where lynx-redux is Lynx Version 2.8.9rel.1 (08 Jul 2018) with
SOCKS5 patch, and localhost:42021 is a SSH DynamicForward, and it
just works.

If you use -socks5-proxy (i have written that patch) any network
connection, including host name lookups, goes over the SOCKS5
proxy.  Except for the first, the proxy itself: since you use
127.0.0.1 that should be no issue.  I.e., that is all that lynx
does: it just proxies everything through SOCKS5.
This SOCKS5 does not support authentication or anything such.

With the above i can go duckduckgo as well as the IP address
directly, and everything is fine.  This includes the redirection
of duckduckgo to /lite.  I never used TOR myself.
You should usually see some "SOCKS5" messages while you are
connecting -- what do these say?
If you use strace(1), what is going on?  Where is the difference?

 |My system is OpenBSD, but I do not know how to print the options used for
 |compilation of lynx: can you point me to some reference?

I do not know about that.

--steffen