lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Adding $SOCKS5_PROXY support, changing command line option

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Adding $SOCKS5_PROXY support, changing command line option
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 17:26:38 +0200

Hello.

Please find attached an extension to the -socks5-proxy patch that
made it in.  On FreeBSD, they have started adding support for
a $SOCKS5_PROXY environment variable, see for example commit
[bf579e30a4d54a2d7203cdb1d1689dde46db5db6]:

  This change adds SOCKS5 support to the library fetch(3) and
  updates the man page.

  Details: Within the fetch_connect() function, fetch(3) checks if
  the SOCKS5_PROXY environment variable is set. If so, it connects
  to this host rather than the end-host. It then initializes the
  SOCKS5 connection in

I felt it would be nice to integrate within this automatic proxy
selection and added support for the MUA i maintain (in as of
v14.9.18), and here is the same for lynx.

I also changed the option name -socks5-proxy to -socks5_proxy,
i apologise for creating an option name that stands out from all
other options at first.  Sorry.

Better documentation comes as part of this, too.

Ciao and good luck everybody from Germany,

--steffen