lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] How to keep dumps more pure?

From: Andrew Pennebaker
Subject: [Lynx-dev] How to keep dumps more pure?
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 14:10:30 -0500

Hi,

I enjoy using curl, wget, and lynx to dump files. However, lynx appears to
modify the contents slightly which throws off checksums.

This happens, for example with text media such as

lynx -dump https://icanhazip.com/ >ip.txt

Here, an additional blank line is inserted into the stdout stream after the
main IP content body. diff confirms that this file is not exactly the same
output as curl or wget produce.

I tried substituting the default lynx user agent string for "curl", in case
the server was responding differently. But I am getting the extra padding
with that as well.

Could we drop this extra padding? Or, if backwards compatibility is a grave
concern, offer a command line flag to keep dump media bit-for-bit intact
with the HTTP server response body?

--
Cheers,
Andrew