lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] sudden site access failure:

From: Rudy Vener
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] sudden site access failure:
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:19:26 -0500

Hi Karen,
The standard default is not to save the user agent string to the .lynxrc file.
And even if you change the user agent during one session, it wouldn't overwrite
your current .lynxrc file unless you save the changes.

The flip side of this is that you have to enter a new user agent string each
time you run lynx.
That's the main reason I use my own lynx script.

On the other hand, you can use an alias:
alias lynx="lynx -useragent=\"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O;
XH; rv:8.578.498) fr, Gecko/20121021 Camino/8.723+ (Firefox compatible Lynx)\"
"
and lynx will  use that user agent string for the life of the shell session.

When you are done, then
unalias lynx
will return everything back to normal.

Caveat. All my examples are for the ksh shell. I know most people use bash, but
I'm not familiar with it.

Rudy