m17n-list

Re: New layout for Newa

From: Santosh Pradhan
Subject: Re: New layout for Newa
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 17:52:13 +0545

Dear K Handa,
Thank you for reviewing this submission.

The script is called Prachalit which has been assigned the Newa block in unicode. This script is used for the language Nepal Bhasa aka Newa Bhaye spoken by Newar diaspora in Nepal. I named the layout newa-traditional, newa to match Newa unicode block and traditional as it is similar to nepali traditional layout. Please suggest if there is any convention on naming layouts.

Thanks and regards
Santosh

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 7:40 AM handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:
Hi, thank you the contribution.

In article <CAJ=AXX0u-jxCSUz64Tpg7XRrpV9cdO0bYWm9PUER7NEHxxtSKQ@mail.gmail.com>, Santosh Pradhan <sapradhan8@gmail.com> writes:

> I have created a layout for Newa script
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newa_(Unicode_block)> introduced in Unicode
> 9.

> I also maintain a page providing layout image and instructions
> <https://nepalitankan.blogspot.com/2020/02/newa-prachalit-trad-ttf-traditional.html>
> I am only aware of one font that has support for this block Noto Sans Newa
> <https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-fonts/blob/main/hinted/ttf/NotoSansNewa/NotoSansNewa-Regular.ttf>

> I request you to review and include in m17n if possible.

Ok, I'll see the code.  By the way, both "newa" and "Prachalit" seem to
be script names.  Could you tell me the their relationship?

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org