m4-discuss

m4 -e

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: m4 -e
Date: 09 Aug 2001 12:09:05 +0200

hi!

It seems to me that 1.4 used not to -e by default when ISATTY (stdin),
while 1.4p does.

AFAIC this is a bit of a pain, since when toying with M4 there are
often problems such as infloop happening.  Now I have to use kill to
break m4 out of its loop.

So I would propose:

1. reestablish the 1.4 behavior.

2. keep it as is but add a negative -e option

3. when interactive, break the current expansion, but return to the
   main loop?  No idea if this is actually feasible.

Also, how about making it possible to use readline?  This could make
3. easier (when not linked with m4, simply exit?).

Also, I like when options are changeable by the script itself, so
maybe we could have a builtin to adjust this?  Something a la
debugmode/debugfile.