m4-discuss

request for minor change to canonicalize-lgpl.c

From: Mike Fulton
Subject: request for minor change to canonicalize-lgpl.c
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:57:05 -0700

Hi,

I am building m4 (latest) on the z/OS operating system and for the most part, things are going very well.
I am not sure of the best place to request this - whether as a 'bug' report (which this is not) or as a discussion topic, so I decided on 'discussion'.

The problem I have hit for z/OS is that canonicalize-lgpl.c is defining __stat to stat, i.e.
#define __stat stat

Unfortunately, on z/OS, the system header <sys/stat.h> uses __stat as a wrapper for the header file to test if the header has been included or not, e.g.

#ifndef __stat
  #define __stat 1
  <header file contents>
#endif

So - the patch I did was just to use a different name for the macro in canonicalize-lgpl.c - I chose __m4stat but any non-colliding name would work fine.

What is the best way for me to proceed - should I open a 'bug' for this?

Thanks, Mike Fulton