mailman

RE: Replying to a Thread

From: Greg Smith
Subject: RE: Replying to a Thread
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 22:28:01 +0000

Hi, Bob.

Haha! Yeah. It doesn't make it easy. Though, I will say, they have come a long way. There's some very nice formatting things it does in the editor that some other clients, like Thunderbird, Lotus Notes, etc., just don't do or don't do well.
But overall, Outlook really is designed for corporate America -- not for software developers. :-)

> > What I just saw was that the digest contains attachments of all the
> > messages back and forth. I can open one of those and then reply that
> > way from Outlook. That will actually work just fine.
>
> Oh! If that works then I won't complain about it.

I was even able to try it out recently and it worked great! So, apparently, it can be done with Outlook and digest on Mailman lists.

> > Ideally, if it were possible (for lwip-users, anyway), I'd like to
> > subscribe just to threads that I've created or replied to. Most of
> > the rest is just curiosity so I can keep current on things; but I
> > don't want my Inbox filled up with ancillary bulk. (The devel list I
> > only want digested because I will probably rarely or never reply to a
> > particular thread, but I'd like to know what's going on so I can
> > decide if I want a new version or not.)
>
> You might find reading the list from Gmane the most attractive.
>
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.lwip.general
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.lwip.devel/

I will certainly look into this. It might be just what I need.

> > Is there a way to subscribe to just individual threads instead of the
> > whole list?
>
> Unfortunately there are no such features of the mailing list software Mailman
> used here. I also don't know of any other list software with that capability
> either.

Probably it's not a common thing for "raw" mailing lists. I've, unfortunately, gotten really comfortable with threaded discussion groups/forums around the web, like ones based on Disqus, that do allow that kind of feature.
But it's OK. Now that I know how to tame this list, and with the additional option of Gmane, I'll be fine.

> The usual way people like me deal with this on the mailing lists is by using a
> smart email client. My personal preference is mutt. It has many features for
> efficiently handling a lot of email. But it isn't for everyone. I recommend
> giving the Gmane web interface a try. You might like it.

I might try it at home. Our IT has our work PCs locked down, so I can't install programs myself -- and I doubt they'll want to "support" another E-mail client. <eyeroll />

> > Again, thank you for your very quick reply. I think I am up and
> > running now and look forward to productive discussion on the relevant
> > lists!
>
> Good Luck and Happy Hacking!

Thanks for all the insight. I've got some playing to do! Have a great week and weekend.
-- Greg