mailman

Re: incorrect name on posts

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: incorrect name on posts
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 21:40:18 -0700

Ian Kelling wrote:
> Also, if you look in the archive of this list, there was a similar
> question in which Bob / rwp gave an even more extensive answer to
> this same question. Let us know if you have any more questions.

That message you reference of mine might be a little difficult to
find.  So here is a link to the bug report that was referenced.

  https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110159

But since I have I think I will just repeate it here so that it is
directly available. :-)

Another user posted a bug ticket with:
> On the config page for the lwip-devel Mailing List, I had reset my
> username to something other than my name.

That is only how the list of subscribers is displayed when someone
asks the mailing list database for the list of subscribed users.  Back
in the old days when times were more friendly it was generally allowed
to let anyone see who was subscribed.  But times have changed and
AFAIK there is no mailing list anywhere that allows general access to
the mailing list subscriber list.  And so the name associated with
your subscription is today a somewhat useless artifact of a previous
age.  It isn't used for anything else.

> I assumed that meant that username would show in posts instead of my
> name.

The name displayed is the name on the mail message when you send it.
You are in complete control of what you send in your messages.

Most of the GNU lists are open and one does not need to be subscribed
to post to them.  There is no connection between being subscribed and
posting email.  Being subscribed only controls if the mailing list
emails you a copy of the mail.  You could be subscribed by one address
and send mail to the list using another.  Or not be subscribed at all.
Since there is no connection between the two things.

Therefore if you wish to have your messages that you send use a
particular name, or none, then you must send the message using that
name.  Or leave the name part empty since it is optional.  Only the
email address is required so that it can be delivered.

> I just posted something to lwip-devel and see my name.  Can this be
> fixed?  I dont want my name shown.

You will need to set your mail-from address as you wish it to be on
your sending side of things.  Set it to anything you wish.  Then when
you send the mail it will contain the name you provided.

Bob