mailman

Re: Email Messages

From: The FLOSS Information
Subject: Re: Email Messages
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 08:52:59 +0300

Thank you for informing me in detail about the problem. I think I'll have to wait.

11.01.2020 00:12 tarihinde Bob Proulx yazdı:
The FLOSS Information wrote:
Perhaps one of the FSF admins could look at the Exim logs (I do not
have access to those) and see if there is any tracing trail there?
I don't quite understand it because it requires a little knowledge, but I
guess that's not a good situation.

There are many systems in the GNU & FSF infrastructure.  They all work
together to produce the entirety of the collection of services that
you see with web servers and email and version control repositories
and web forums and mailing lists and everything.

There are volunteers who are remote that help with the running of many
of these services.  I am one such volunteer out in the field who is
remote.  I have access to look at the Mailman logs for those messages.
Therefore I looked, did not find anything related to those messages,
and reported my findings.  It appears that Mailman never saw any of
those messages.

But I cannot look at the Exim logs.  Exim is the MTA used to send and
receive email.  After receiving the email Exim will hand a message to
Mailman.  Mailman is the mailing list management software.  Then after
accepting the message Mailman will send the email out to subscribers
which hands the outgoing message to Exim for delivery.  Therefore the
core of the email sending and receiving is done by Exim.  The real
information about messages will be logged in the Exim logs.

So then the task falls to the FSF admin staff who work in the main FSF
office in Boston who have full access to everything.  In the end every
task that can't be solved by others falls upon them to solve.  That
makes them pretty busy people.  But I knew they would need the
Message-Ids in order to most efficiently look for missing messages.
Therefore I asked for those immediately so that the FSF staff would
have them when they came to help with this ticket.

The FSF staff will be able to grep through the Exim logs for the
listed Message-Ids and see if there are any entries logged for those
messages.  If yes then they can see if they were accepted and if so
then where the message went after that point and the status of the
message.  If the message was rejected then the log will say why the
message was rejected.  Such as if it were rejected as a spam or virus
or a block list or something.  Or in some cases the message might be
in a queue and undeliverable due to many reasons.  In which case they
will be able to resolve the problem with it being undeliverable.

Who can solve the problem?

The FSF admins (who are subscribed to this list and also reading these
messages) can look through the exim logs and see if those Message-Ids
were seen by Exim and either accepted or rejected or other and
hopefully be able to understand the issue better.

When I said "Perhaps one of the FSF admins could ..." I was giving the
handoff that I had looked and not found anything within the area that
I could look.  I was then handing off the problem to them because they
are the last line of defense.  Are you familiar with the children's
game of "Tag"?  "Tag!  They are *IT* now." :-)

I hope this explains things a little better. :-)

Bob