mailman

Re: discuss-gnuradio list subscriptions failing silently

From: Karl Berry
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:46:32 -0600

Hi Derek - I just made a test subscription request via the web form
and got the expected confirmation mail. It came
From: address@hidden

I suspect that most mail providers will consider these spam, or even
filter them before the user ever sees them. So, maybe check your spam
filter(s)?

There's nothing in the mailman list configuration that affects this. I
also don't see anything unusual about the subscription setting, which is
really just the one value "confirm" for subscribe_policy at
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admin/discuss-gnuradio/privacy.

One somewhat-related thing is that you set
generic_nonmember_action=discard at
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admin/discuss-gnuradio/privacy/sender.
We don't recommend this. It's a significant inconvenience for users to
have to subscribe to post, for exactly the kinds of reasons you are
seeing. And often people are subscribed under one address but send mail
from a different address, for whatever reason.

Thus we recommend generic_nonmember_action=hold. If you want, a small
group of us can help with approving real messages, and (auto)discarding
spam through "listhelper", the little project that Bob Proulx, I, and
others set up. This is how most (a couple thousand) of the lists on
lists.gnu.org are set up. More info about listhelper is at
  http://listhelper.nongnu.org
and our specific mailman setting recommendations:
  http://listhelper.nongnu.org/mailmanconf.html

But none of this can fix the subscription problems :(. --best, karl