make-alpha

Re: newline escape problem.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: newline escape problem.
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:13:10 -0500

%% David Boyce <address@hidden> writes:

  db> What's the argument for allowing whitespace at all (aside from
  db> backward compatibility of course)?

I dunno.  You'd have to ask those who allowed it in the first place,
such that we have a backward compatibility issue :).

  db> SHELL := env FOO=BAR myscript -comment "this is what I propose to do"

Right.  The only option possible would be to do as I suggested before,
and run the equivalent of:

  system("$(SHELL) -c <commandline>");

Which is obviously problematic to do directly like that since you have
correctly quote <commandline> first (although GNU make does do that now
so...).  I just can't see that this is worthwhile.

One thing I did discover looking at this code is that there's a lot of
special casing in this area for DOS, Windows, Amiga, and VMS... it
scares me to do too much messing around in here.  I guess those folks
will just have to come back with fixes for things that broke.