make-alpha

Re: first GNU make with debugger

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: first GNU make with debugger
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 14:38:20 -0400

%% "R. Bernstein" <address@hidden> writes:

This is definitely cool looking.  I'll grab a copy and check it out as
soon as I get a chance.  I had some questions:

  rb> Okay, now on to the debugger! Just add -X and you are put into the
  rb> debugger. Although I have a small command set right now with few
  rb> command formats or opitons, many of the most useful debugging commands
  rb> are there. You can set/delete breakpoints at a target, step execution,
  rb> restart or quit execution, turn on/off/toggle tracing, go up or down
  rb> the target backtrack stack and look at variables, Actually, there are
  rb> two kinds of print commands: "print" give a variable source/file
  rb> location and the value in symbolic terms.

When you get to the debugging prompt, what has been done?  Have all the
makefiles been read in already?

Have you given any thought about how to debug things like $(shell ...)
invocations, or eval expansions, etc. that happen during the parsing of
the makefiles?