make-alpha

Re: How could I help now?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How could I help now?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:17:05 -0400

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 17:12 +0200, Ramón García wrote:
> Perhaps you can make me questions about the code. Perhaps I can make
> some changes.

Hi Ramon.  I think the discussion over the references to target-specific
variables is pretty much complete.  I like Boris' idea of changing
"no-inherit" to "private", and I think adding the ability to have an
empty target $(::FOO) refer to the global FOO is useful.

If you can provide a patch with that functionality I will integrate
that, then we can move on to the next part.

Just a note on the current implementation of this part:

I don't think we should allow resolution of automatic variables here.
Most of them won't be valid anyway, in that they could change AFTER the
variable is expanded.  The only one that I can think of that we KNOW is
valid is $@, but that is useless because you obviously already know that
value if you are looking up the variable with respect to a given target.

Consider:

        foo: bar

        XX := $(foo::<)

        foo: baz; echo $<

In this case XX will be "bar", but the echo should print "baz" since the
first prerequisite in the recipe definition will always take precedence.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us