make-alpha

Re: Guile integration and UTF-8

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Guile integration and UTF-8
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:29:00 -0400

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 23:11 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> The fix would be to convert the string passed to $(guile ...) from a
> fixed encoding, rather than from the current locale encoding.  For
> instance:
>
>   scm_eval_string (scm_from_utf8_string (argv[0]))

Hm.  Right now I'm trying to allow support for both Guile 1.8 and 2.0.
Of course, scm_from_utf8_string() doesn't exist in Guile 1.8.  I tried
using plain scm_from_locale_string() but that didn't work either; I
guess I haven't set up the locale properly from Guile's point of view.

What are your thoughts about supporting Guile 1.8?  It still seems
widely distributed so I'd hate to drop it unless there are good reasons.