make-alpha

Re: Handling fatal signals in GNU make

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Handling fatal signals in GNU make
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 21:20:52 -0700

Paul Smith wrote:
Another thought I had: we have already wrapped most system calls with
the EINTRLOOP macro.  One possibility would be to extend this macro so
it does the check of the "received fatal signal" flag, then disable
SA_RESTART and rely on this loop in all situations.  We might need to
review the code to make sure we haven't missed places that need it.
This is seriously old-school: I guess this is how signals had to be
managed originally?

This sounds pretty much like what Emacs does when it's run interactively. Yes, it's old-school, but it does work. As I recall, Emacs used SA_RESTART long ago, but that was flaky and eventually was backed out in favor of the old-school approach.