Re: Make error code list

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make error code list
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 01:16:00 -0500

%% Jim Julian <address@hidden> writes:

  jj> I've downloaded gcc and make (Cygwin) and have run into a problem.
  jj> When an error causes make to stop, there is no table of code
  jj> numbers and explanations available to help determine the
  jj> problem. I went through the make.info files and found reference to
  jj> only "common errors". Is there a look-up table for the error codes
  jj> somewhere?

You can't find any because make doesn't have error codes.  All it has
are textual error messages, as documented in the manual.

Any numeric error codes or exit codes you see printed are being
generated by the compiler or other tools that make is invoking, not GNU
make itself.  You should look at the relevant documentation for the tool
to find out what they mean.