RE: GNU MAKE ERROR

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: GNU MAKE ERROR
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:36:19 -0400

%% Parthasarthi K <address@hidden> writes:

  pk> Thanks for the reply. We had installed MKS Toolkit and I think the
  pk> make utility in that was being invoked. But we had some
  pk> application problems after that and we switched over to solaris 8.
  pk> Now after unzipping the make-3.79.1.tar.gz file on solaris, we are
  pk> not able to find any script file to invoke 'make' or 'gnumake'. Do
  pk> you have any instructions for using/running make ?

First, if you're using Solaris then this mailing list (make-w32) is not
appropriate any longer.

Second, the FSF does not distribute binary versions of its applications
(actually you can purchase a CD with prebuilt versions, but they're not
available via ftp.  The tar file you obtained contains the source code
only.

To learn how to compile it, please read the README and INSTALL files
that are provided in the distribution.