Re: Lucent nmake feature support

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Lucent nmake feature support
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:53:51 -0500

%% "J. Grant" <address@hidden> writes:

  jg> I have been reading about Lucent nmake
  jg> (http://www.bell-labs.com/project/nmake/).  It looks interesting,
  jg> they use a different rule format, and include a preprocessor.
  jg> There is a comparison to GNU make
  jg> (http://www.bell-labs.com/project/nmake/faq/gmake.html).  I was
  jg> wondering if GNU make planned to add some similar features to
  jg> Lucent nmake?

Did you have some specific feature in mind?  Based on the comparison the
only significant feature difference I see is that nmake is stateful
while GNU make is not stateful.

Adding state to GNU make has been (and is still) on the TODO list, but
it hasn't been done yet.  There is no specific timeframe for this
feature.

Note that the comparison you cite is based on GNU make 3.75 (with a few
3.76 features thrown in).  GNU make is now up to 3.80 and has a number
of enhanced features.  Also note that the comparison is not 100%
accurate: for example GNU make has had support for distributed builds
for a long time (at least on UNIX platforms), but it requires linking in
a 3rd party library (free, but not provided with GNU make).