Re: win32 paths with spaces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: win32 paths with spaces
Date: 27 Nov 2003 16:12:46 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:00:52 -0500
> From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
>
> I thought it was stored in the filesystem data but created on the fly
> dependent on the number of like short file names already in use.

It _is_ stored in the filesystem, at least for most of the filesystems
that are relevant.  (The CD-ROM is the only exception I know of, and
there's an option in the Registry, which is normally off, to disable
8+3 aliases on NTFS volumes.)

The number of existing files which all map to the same alias (and
therefore require a different "~N" numeric tail to disambiguate them)
is only important when a new file is created.  That is when the
Windows filesystem computes the short alias and stores it as part of
the file's directory entry.