Re: make/tests issues

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make/tests issues
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:25:39 +0200

> Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:57:42 +0000
> From: "J. Grant" <address@hidden>
>
> Using the w32 native build of make produces an exe which outputs in CRLF
> format.  I ran the tests using MSYS/rxvt.  GNU diff v2.7 compares the
> base file with the log and sees the difference.   I don't think there is
> a way to turn off CRLF/LF distinction in GNU diff.

What port of GNU Diff are you using?  That is, who or what project
ported it to Windows?

In general, a Windows port of Diff should ignore the CRLF/LF
distinction, unless it was invoked with the --binary command-line
option.  That is because Diff uses text-mode I/O by default, which
strips the CR characters from the CRLF pairs, therefore the files
compare equal.  A ported Diff that doesn't behave like that is IMHO
broken.