gnumake and tabs

From: Matt Lavoie
Subject: gnumake and tabs
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:32:53 -0700

Hi Folks,

It seems that Make is about the only thing left in the modern computing
world that relies on the difference between tabs and spaces for correctness.
Ok, that's a bit overstated... :)

Every now and again, I have to stand up for 'tabs' in makefiles, and point
folks in the right direction when their editor quietly replaces tabs with
spaces and a makefile no longer works.  This seems an anachronism.  I wonder
if there's a better way.

Toward that end:
        (1) Is there a build option for gnumake to make tabs unimportant in
makefiles?
        (2) Is the parser tightly coupled to the use of tabs?

Thanks,

Matt Lavoie
nVidia, Inc.