Re: GNU Make Errors in Windows Application Event Log

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: GNU Make Errors in Windows Application Event Log
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:53:30 +0000

Hi Ramp,

I'm using theGNU Make version 3.79.1 Built for Windows2000

You may like to try version 3.80, please add hash.obj to NMakefile if building using MS nmake.exe.

MultiProcessor Server and the following Windows Error event occurs:

 EventID:   0
 Category:  0
 Unhandled exception filter called from program make
 ExceptionCode = c0000005
 ExceptionFlags = 0
 ExceptionAddress = 4166e4
 Access violation: read operation at address 3f

Could be a bug in your compiler.

Just to confirm, is this your gnumake.exe which has this exeption? Or
one of the processes which gnumake.exe launches?

Can you try with the debug build of gnumake.exe for win32

I see this error event (there are 250 of them) only when try to build
on a fast multiprocessor build machine. Not with a single p4 based
machine. Surprisingly this doesn't stop the build process and
everything gets built to the end. I've tried to debug the problem
through VC6, but no luck yet.

Can you set "first-chance exceptions" to all break into the debugger.

Since the stuff gets built to the end, What I would like to know,  is
that these Event Log Entries really are benign and are not going to
wreck any of my future build. Can somebody help in getting this
assurance?

Can you provide some more logs from your compile and also a testcase to replicate this problem.

Kind regards

JG

--
Homepage: http://jguk.org/