Re: GNU Make Errors in Windows Application Event Log

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: GNU Make Errors in Windows Application Event Log
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:18:33 +0100

B G Ramprasad Torati wrote:
> [...]
> The build takes about 7 hours on a fast
> machine and involves in building about 7000+ components (i.e. atleast
> those many make.exe invocations), but reporting only around 250
> exceptions with make.exe. That means not all the make.exe calls
> reporting the problem.

I recall that running processes via temporary files is weak in 3.80.
In particular, it does not guarantee temporary file name uniqueness.
See patch
<https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=9748&item_file_id=1523>

I cannot guess how overwriting an existing temporary file may result
in a read exception at 3f. Also, I'm not sure how cmd.exe would react
to tampering a BAT file which is possibly being executed. However, I'd
reckon that under such loads on a multiprocessor machine the chances
to incur in that bug are high. (Details depend on the implementation
of tempnam().)

If possible, I would try with a built using job.c from current CVS.