Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released

From: Markus Mauhart
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:22:23 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote ...

> FWIW, I think Markus's changes are too skewed towards building from
> CVS.

My suggested changes for README.cvs are "skewed towards building from CVS"
... but what else should they be ?

> It is IMHO wrong to have README.W32 mention the CVS build except
> with a single sentence which tells to look in README.cvs.

This is exactly what I did.
Or do you also mean the sentence about PACKAGE and VERSION ? Also without
CVS I would list it amongst the most interesting parts of config.h.

> I also don't quite get the importance of telling the users to copy
> config.h.W32 by hand: both build_w32.bat and NMakefile already do that
> automatically.

But make_msvc_net2003.vcproj doesnt do it, hence README.W32 must tell it.
Additionally you yourself felt necessary to warn me in a previous posting:

> Make sure you delete config.h before you do this, so that
> build_w32.bat will copy config.h.W32 to config.h and use that.

IMHO with my suggested changes in README.W32[.template] this warning is
no more necessary. I personally find it much more necessary that users
first learn in README.W32 about creating and editing config.h than that
the users which ignore README.W32 can execute successfully build_w32.bat
and NMakefile whithout knowing what really happens.

>> Release is getting very, very close everyone!  I'm reworking the
>> chapter on writing command scripts somewhat to make the whole backslash
>> newline thing clearer (I hope).
>
> How close? should I stop working on the -jN issue on Windows?

No :-)

Best Regards,
Markus.