Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:50:45 +0200

> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:27:19 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I tried "make -j" with MinGW building a program that needed 18 C
> source files to be compiled and then linked into a single executable.
> I don't see the problems you describe.  All I see is several
> compilations being started in parallel; the build takes 3 seconds,
> which in this case is not an improvement wrt the non-parallel build,
> but it's not slower, either.

Another question: you said you see many batch files created--does that
mean that your commands in the Makefile use shell features?  If not,
why does Make create the batch files in the first place?  (In my
testing, it didn't create the batch files because the commands were
simple, and Make invoked them directly.)

Also, when you run MinGW, do you have some ported sh.exe on your PATH?
If so, perhaps rename sh.exe to something else and see if this makes
any difference.

Finally, perhaps run that MinGW build with --debug=j and see if the
debugging printouts reveal something interesting.