Re: make 3.81beta4 does not assume extension .exe for non-phony targets

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make 3.81beta4 does not assume extension .exe for non-phony targets in contrast to make 3.80
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 06:46:36 +0200

> From: "Angel Tsankov" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:56:33 +0200
>
> 1. a simple makefile like this is needed:
> test:
>  @echo $@ is not up-to-date
>
> 2. a test.exe file is needed in the same folder as the makefile;
>
> 3. version 3.80 works like this:
> make
> make: `test' is up to date.
>
> 4. version 3.81beta4 works like this:
> make
> test is not up-to-date

I'll look into this, but I don't think this is something that's
changed since v3.80: I don't recall that I saw anywhere in Make's
sources code that would look for text.exe when the target is `test',
literally.  Neither do I think this is the Right Thing for Make to do,
FWIW.

So, while I will look into this, I tend to agree with Paul: what you
see in v3.80 is probably a result of patching the official sources in
Cygwin distribution.  Perhaps you should download the sources of 3.80
from Cygwin and see what they modified.

Also note that build_w32.bat is not how the Cygwin port should be
built--you are supposed to run configure and make instead, as on Unix.
I doubt that this would change anything in this regard, but it might
changes something else, since the produced config.h could be
different.

Thanks.