Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make-3.81rc1 mingw not failing on 'g++ -M' error
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:05:08 +0200

> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 23:04:29 -0600
> From: Matt England <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Matthew England" <address@hidden>,address@hidden
>
> At 3/7/2006 10:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >Well, please show us such rule with that problem.  We need to see the
> >details, and preferably some way to reproduce it with a relatively
> >simple example Makefile.
>
> Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that's exactly what I
> provided.

No, you provided a rule whose commands were actually a single shell
command.

> Greg was able to do it; can you do that?

Sorry, no.  Perhaps Greg has more free time than I do.

> In any case, I do plan to help you guys as much as possible to help me (and
> I very much appreciate this) as soon as I waddle through the Debian mingw
> cross compile, which seems to get much farther then my
> mingw-native-on-windows builds thus far.

Well, if you plan to abandon the native Windows build and instead opt
for the cross-compilation solution, please tell that, so I won't spend
any more time on trying to solve this riddle.  I simply cannot afford
trying to untangle a problem with a development environment I don't
have installed, without your full commitment to supply information and
try out possible solutions.  All I can tell you is that, using native
Windows ports and programs, the MinGW build of Make does stop after
the first error (unless the Makefile or the -k switch tell it to
ignore errors).  It is possible that some specific situation triggers
a bug, but it's impossible to debug that without a clear and concise
test case.