RE: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 00:46:55 +0100

On 15 April 2007 22:54, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:04:59AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 06:16:56AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> There is no Cygwin component here.  If you set your SHELL to something
> which is not the type of shell that make expects, it will not work.
> That is make working as designed and it is not an issue that needs to
> be taken up with the cygwin mailing list.
>
>>> Above and beyond that point, however, it is not a goal of Cygwin to
>>> operate flawlessly with cmd.exe.
>>
>> But Cygwin doesn't (AFAIK) do anything to deliberately defeat cmd.exe
>> more than it does with any other program.
>
> And that wasn't my point.  My point was that if there is some subtle
> thing that cmd.exe needs in order to be used as a shell and Cygwin
> isn't supplying we will not be extremely interested in standing on our
> heads to supply it.
>
> I am, again, trying to dissuade anyone from the potentially discouraging
> experience of expecting that their cmd.exe woes will be actively
> considered on the Cygwin mailing list.

  I tried out the testcase.  It isn't actually hung, it's waiting for console
input.  If you type 'exit' and hit return, you get dropped back to a cmd.exe
shell; once more and you get dropped back to a bash prompt.  I haven't looked
closer, but I guess that means that cmd.exe doesn't like being hooked up to a
cygwin-simulated pty - which is indeed not a supported use-case.

    cheers,
      DaveK