Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)

From: Aaron Shatters
Subject: Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:14:15 -0700 (PDT)

>> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Aaron Shatters <address@hidden>
>>
>> "make" doesn't recognize this as a shell command because the "echo." command
>> is not in the shell >command list for dos, and furthermore, the arguments
>> are not separated from the command by a space >or tab.  I have patched the
>> 3.81 source code, but I guess that I should get agreement that this needs to
>> >be fixed before I get to exited.
>
>I'm not sure what feature are you missing.  Is it the ability to
>produce an empty line without using a Unixy shell?  If so, why is this
>so important?

I suppose the "feature" that is missing is the ability to run shell commands as
they are defined by the shell that will be running the shell commands.
Furthermore, the ability to more easily port our numerous makefiles to use gnu
make without having to jump through hoops because gnu make doesn't fully
support the shell that comes stock with all of our developers computers...
cmd.exe.