Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Problems with echo. (echo period)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:32:04 +0200

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aaron Shatters <address@hidden>
Cc: "make-w32 gnu.org" <address@hidden>

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
P:\>echo""
'echo""' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I don't know what is happening on your system, because `echo""' works
for me (on Windows XP) as it does for Dave.  It works both from the
Command Prompt window and from within a Makefile if I first say
SHELL=cmd.exe in it and run MinGW compiled Make 3.81.

Hello,
I have installed (in VMware) a stock Windows XP Pro SP2 (french)
downloaded from
Microsoft's MSDNAA (MSDN Academic Alliance, a form of partnership that enables
CS student to get "free" (as in without fees) access to Microsoft
products) and
`echo""' does not work here either.

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\> echo""
'echo""' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

C:\> echo ""
""

I tried on 3 another machines which are part of a buildfarm (they also run
Windows XP Pro SP2 french) and if I run `cmd' from the Cygwin shell,
echo"" and
echo "" work:

address@hidden ~ $ cmd
Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\cygwin\home\build>echo""
echo""

C:\cygwin\home\build>echo ""
echo ""
""

C:\cygwin\home\build>

(Notice the extra empty-line... weird)

Then, I tried to run 'Start>Execute>cmd' from a VNC session and this time, the
'echo""' thing did not work.

I can't explain this behavior however.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory