Re: Environment variables in makefiles with DOS

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Environment variables in makefiles with DOS
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:41:32 -0400

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 10:07 +0100, Graham Labdon wrote:
> Hi
> I have a makefile executed under Windows XP
> It has the line
> include $(SOURCE_ROOT)\$(NGC_VERSION)\deafult.mk

You should always use forward slashes in makefiles, not backslashes.
That won't solve your problem though.

> SOURCE_ROOT is an enviroment varaible set to C:\NGC\Source
> NGC_VERSION is an environment variable set to Main Line
>
> When the makefile is run I get an error saying tha the file
> C:\NGC\Source\Main cannot be found
> Obviously I want to include file C:\NGC\Source\Main Line\default.mk
>
> Can any please tell me the way to achive this

You can't use pathnames containing whitespace in GNU make, in general.
There are a few very limited situations where it can be made to work,
but this is not one of them.

You'll have to rename your directory.

Another hack is to use the 8.3 version of the filename, but this is
unreliable at best.

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
> solely for the use of
> the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received
> this e-mail in error please
> notify the originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
> e-mail message has been
> scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
>
> Warning: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no
> viruses are present in
> this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage
> arising from the use
> of this email or attachments.

> except where the sender
> specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Crane
> Merchandising Systems.
>
> Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by
> SurfControl E-mail Filter software
> in conjunction with virus detection software.
>
> Crane Merchandising Systems is a Limited company registered in the UK whose
> registered office is at
> Pipsmore Park, Bumpers Farm Industrial Estate, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN14 6NQ
>

> | Company Registration No. 02360425 | VAT No. 543196833 |

Yeesh.