Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:20:08 +0200

> Can we make sure all arguments passed to find_directory on Windows
> do not contain a "/" or "\" at the end?  I cannot find any example
> either.

Try this:

VPATH = foo\ bar
all : zap.o

Note that normally (like with: foo\ bar:;echo $@) foo\ bar
is one filename with a space, i.e. "foo bar", but it does not
work like this in VPATH.

Note also that bar is there just to avoid the backslash
at the end of the line.

(I guess such details could make an interesting chapter in
the documentation. "Working with GNU-make non-features" ... ;)

Anyway, running this makefile produces (among others) the
following calls to find_directory:

find_directory: RCS
find_directory: SCCS
find_directory: foo\
find_directory: bar
find_directory: foo/
find_directory: foo\/RCS
find_directory: bar/RCS
find_directory: foo\/SCCS
find_directory: bar/SCCS
make: *** No rule to make target `zap.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

It fails however regardless whether or not you have (for example)
foo\zap.c. (also regardless what stat-patch you have).

> And I have tested that neither DIR\\ or DIR/ can match an
> existing directory DIR currently---removing the trailing slash is OK.

This is probably because there are some more stat()'s around in gmake,
and these don't have slash fixes.

--- grischka