RE: Switching from CVS to GIT (make under Windows)

From: Leeuwesteijn, Joost
Subject: RE: Switching from CVS to GIT (make under Windows)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:54:00 +0200

True.

> Certainly you're not going to be able to run any POSIX-based
> makefile on
> a Windows system without a full suite of common tools, but
> that doesn't mean it makes no sense in other situations.

See below.

> Eli can speak more directly to this, though: I've never actually used
> make in these situations.  Cheers!

We're using GNU make on Windows XP (with GNU make built with the MS
compiler) using cmd.exe as the shell, calling a Windows based
compiler/assembler/linker and other tools during the build.

Although you -can- use GNU make under Windows perfectly fine without
using MSYS/Cygwin etc. we do use a couple of other GNU/POSIX tools, from
the (pretty much dead?) unx-utils project in our case. Tools like
unx-echo.exe, unx-grep.exe, unx-grep.exe, unx-awk.exe, unx-sed.exe, etc
are simply way too useful. Or rather, the Windows commandline is simply
too limited. For example to implement automatic dependency generation
using the preprocessor output.

Our compiler suite is only available on the Windows platform but I did
want to implement an automatable and fully controlled build environment
(compared to building from inside an grapical IDE with lots of
checkboxes, etc.). GNU make does the job. I had a quick look at nmake
from Microsoft but GNU make is a lot more powerful in my opinion and it
has a very active mailinglist :-)

I would prefer building (and developing) on a *nix based platform myself
but since it's not possible in our (embedded software) case, GNU make on
Windows is a good second choice.

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn

> -----------------
>  Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>          Find some GNU make tips at:
>  http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us
>  "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a
> professional." --Mad Scientist

---

This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please return this email to the sender and delete it from
your records.

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Sollten Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger dieser E-mail sein, senden Sie bitte diese an den
Absender zurück und löschen Sie die E-mail aus Ihrem System.