Re: New make PATH problem(?)

From: Bob Fletcher
Subject: Re: New make PATH problem(?)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:12:59 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:01:42 -0400
I downloaded mingw32-make-3.81-20080326.tar.gz from the MinGW site,
and I can confirm that the mingw32-make.exe binary from there does not
find sh.exe on my system as well.  What's even more strange, I
compared the sources in mingw32-make-3.81-20080326-src.tar.gz with
what I have, and they are identical!  And the binary I build from my
sources does find the shell.

So the reason for this problem could only be the way the Make binary
was built, perhaps the libraries it was linked against or something.

I suggest that you report this problem to the MinGW bug-tracking
system.  If you have a Windows compiler installed, you could try
building your own binary from the sources as described in the file
README.W32 in the distribution.

Eli,

I followed your suggestion, downloading the sources and building the binaries
myself.
As you stated above, this binary does find the shell and operates correctly with the example that I sent you.

I tried to send this information to the mingw-users, but the url kept getting
messed up.
One of the users there straightened it out and suggested using the MSYS make. I really don't know about the difference, except that the changes you describe on

apparently are not incorporated in my MSYS make, which is dated 9/12/2006.

In any case, thanks for your help.

Bob