RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:41:36 -0800

>This works for me: I see

    echo \\\foobar
    \\\foobar

OUCH!  I was using Cygwin echo, unknown to me (echo is not a executable in
Windows, so the windows shell found the Cygwin echo, later in the path, and did
not do the built in Windows echo).

So now I see this:

Cygwin echo from Cygwin shell:

$echo \\\foobar
\foobar

>From windows shell:

C:\Temp>c:\tools\cygwin\bin\echo \\\foobar
\\\foobar

And from within GNU make

SHELL=cmd.exe

foobar:
                echo \\\foobar

C:\Temp>make foobar
echo \\\foobar
\\foobar

I can kind of understand the first two behaviours:  the first, Cygwin echo
within a Unix-like shell, tries to behave like Unix.  Second, within Windows,
tries to be compatible with windows echo.

But third, I still don't understand.