Re: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar

From: tom honermann
Subject: Re: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 22:06:20 -0800

Note that Cygwin has a few oddities that might explain some of the issues that Mark is experiencing.  I've recently been fighting Cygwin in similar ways.

In particular, if Cygwin's bash.exe (or sh.exe) is used as the gmake shell, Cygwin detects that it is being launched by a non-Cygwin process and performs some perturbations of the command line including collapsing of (unquoted) backslashes.  The results are then processed by bash/sh as UNIX normally would.  Try adding "noglob" to the Cygwin environment variable to see if that changes behavior.  The "noglob" option is documented at http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html (though the documentation doesn't explain this option particularly well).  Also, try quoting paths in command lines passed through Cygwin binaries - doing so affects the extra globbing that Cygwin performs.

I've noticed that the latest Cygwin 1.7 DLL seems to have some problems with the "noglob" option.  There are some command lines I have been completely unable to get passed through to Cygwin when using the "noglob" option.  I've had to stick to "glob" (the default) and double escape backslashes for the time being.

Tom.