Running make on WinXP using cygwin, but struggeling running make in Wind

From: Anderson Fredrik (fa)
Subject: Running make on WinXP using cygwin, but struggeling running make in Windows 7 64-bit. Support wanted
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:46:23 +0200

Hi,

Our build system is using GNU make from a cygwin package running on Windows XP 32-bit clients. Now we are into migrating to Windows 7 mainly 64-bit version.

So have tried different GNU make versions on Windows 7 computer:

·         Cygwin different package setups, both make version 3.79 and 3.82. Think it was 3.82 might be 3.71, but struggled.

·         MinGW/msys, make version 3.81, worked best, most of the times the make executed OK. 2 / 83 times our system didn’t build making make crash in the middle of execution on a pretty big library.

·         GnuWin32, make version 3.81, struggling getting make executing using “$(shell” commands in Makefiles.

I assume someone has a successful setup, similar to ours, anywhere in the world, we can’t be alone. :-)

That’s the reason for putting this email to the list. Hope someone can suggest, point to a good working solution for a Windows 7 64-bit computer.

More info about how we execute make, we do use job flag, -j. The server uses 8 cores so we setup the –j to 16.

Any help suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Fredrik Anderson
Telematic Software Architect