Re: sync_Path_environment issue

From: LM
Subject: Re: sync_Path_environment issue
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 07:29:46 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
Which Bash-like shell exists on Windows, except Cygwin?

I've seen ports of zsh and tcsh for Windows.  Not exactly bash syntax, but useful shells.  There's a bash like shell with the win32 busybox port.  There's an older bash-nt project at Sourceforge.  The MirOS project has a developer working on porting mksh to Windows.  The project I'm working with is in the process of developing a bash-like shell with added internationalization support based on msh.  I even noticed support for the MKS shell mentioned in the make code.  So, there are other options besides msys and/or Cygwin based bash shells.

You can always use := if you bump into this very problem in your
target environment with the native MinGW Make.

If that's true, then a simple work-around would be to add code like the following at the beginning of do_variable_definition in variable.c:

#ifdef WINDOWS32
  if (strcmp (varname, "PATH") == 0)
  {
    if (flavor == f_recursive)
      flavor = f_simple;
  }
#endif

It should only be executed by the native Windows port and it would prevent ever running into a recursive case if one is setting the PATH variable.

If you find a fix that doesn't remove the call to
sync_Path_environment, I will review it and see if it can be
accepted.

Rhetorical question, but why would someone want to remove sync_Path_environment?  It's obviously been added for a purpose and if one removes it, one changes the state of the program.