Problematic temporary BAT files

From: Bostjan Mihoric
Subject: Problematic temporary BAT files
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:45:23 +0200

Hello,

I have noticed that Make 4.0+ works a bit differently than Make 3.80.
When encountering command prompt (cmd.exe) built-in commands (such as "del") or redirection,
it will generate a batch (BAT) file in the temporary folder and execute it.
While I see what is being achieved here, there are problems with these batch files.

Even if we ignore the impact this can have on (SSD) drive wear (doing a lot of big compilations),
there are Windows systems out there where the policies deny running programs from
temporary folders (which are one of the first stops for malware).

I thought of simply using Make 3.80, but parallel compilation has become very tempting now that
Make supports syncing the outputs (as of 4.0).

What I would very much appreciate is if there would be at least one of the following options:
A) Option to not generate BAT files (work like Make 3.80 in this regard).
B) Option to set the target directory for temporary BAT files (instead of using system defaults).

Could you please direct me, where should I submit this suggestion so that it has a chance of being implemented?

Thank you very much.

With kind regards,
Bostjan