Re: Problematic temporary BAT files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problematic temporary BAT files
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:56:24 +0300

> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:45:23 +0200
> From: Bostjan Mihoric <address@hidden>
>
> Even if we ignore the impact this can have on (SSD) drive wear (doing a lot of
> big compilations),

I don't think this is a real problem.  There are systems out there
which have the page file on an SSD disk, and still the disk resources
are enough to go on long after the machine is upgraded and abandoned.

> there are Windows systems out there where the policies deny running
> programs from temporary folders (which are one of the first stops
> for malware).

You can control where the batch files are created, see below.

> What I would very much appreciate is if there would be at least one of the
> following options:
> A) Option to not generate BAT files (work like Make 3.80 in this regard).

Not going to happen, unless someone submits a clean patch to do that,
and shows that the problems that caused us to switch to batch files
are not reintroduced back.

> B) Option to set the target directory for temporary BAT files (instead of
> using
> system defaults).

The "system defaults" are documented here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364992%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

This is the function used by Make on Windows to obtain the temporary
directory name.  By setting one of the environment variables
documented on that page, you can control where Make creates these
batch files.

> Could you please direct me, where should I submit this suggestion so that it
> has a chance of being implemented?

Here.