man-db-devel

Re: [Man-db-devel] man-db Guix package: preconv segfaults when hard-code

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [Man-db-devel] man-db Guix package: preconv segfaults when hard-coded
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 18:03:47 +0100

Hi Colin, thanks for the prompt reply.

> Have you considered sending a patch to add a --with-preconv option to
> man-db's configure script?  It already has similar options for most
> other bits of groff, so it would seem reasonable.

I've just tried but it did not change anything.
./configure --help
from man-db returns no such option.

> A full path is just fine; it's passed as the first argument to execvp,
> which accepts full paths.

Thanks for clarifying this.

> Based on the GDB backtrace you posted in the Guix issue, it seems clear
> to me that this is a groff bug involving some kind of fixed-size buffer.
> If you can't work it out directly from the code, then valgrind should
> help to pinpoint it.

Yes, the issue is related to some brittle buffer manipulation.  Groff is riddled
with them and the code is quite hard to read.

Thanks for the tips!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/