[Maposmatic-dev] Re: German translation online !

From: maposmatic
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: German translation online !
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:47:35 +0100

Fourth try to send this mail to list since the ML-server seems to
recover -.-

Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> wrote:

>Le Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:04:48 +0100,
>address@hidden a écrit :

>Yes, some strings were quickly translated by a non-native german
>speaker.

Would be good having them marked fuzzy, too.

>> If you would like me to contribute via git so you don't have to check
>> your inbox for new translations all the time please give me a little
>> help how to do so without messing up the server :)
>
>You can provide patches against
>http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic.git/tree/www/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/django.po.
>You can clone the whole Git repository by doing:
>
> git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/maposmatic.git

Saw that on maposmatic and while translating ;) I am more concerned
about comitting stuff and access rights which may be needed. I am not
familiar with git, svn and such.

In short: how to commit a changed po-file?
I tried now about an hour to commit such a one without being
successful.
($ git push
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly)
I don't like to have to learn a tool inside out (yes, I
tried to figure out what its manpages suppode the user to do) in a
timeconsuming process which I need only now and then for comitting some
files. I can make better usage of my time...

>Moreover, can you help us improving the German support of OcitySMap ?
>This would involve: [some stuff :)]

> * Reviewing the translation of a few strings used in the street index,
>   at
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ocitysmap.po

Do I understand right that these ar the categories where POIs like
schools, place of worships and such are collected?

> * Tell us how the street names should be handled by OcitySMap. For
>   french, for example, the street "Rue Paul Verlaine" must be turned
>   into "Paul Verlaine (Rue)" so that the street is indexed at letter
>   "P" and not at letter "R" like all streets ("Rue" means street in
>   french). My understanding is that in german the word "Rue" is not
>   used *before* the street name, but as a postfix. Therefore, maybe
>   there aren't a lot of things to do.

In German, the streetnames ar names of the street with all parts of the
name belonging to it.
Be it "Straße der Deutschen Einheit" (Street of German Unity),
"Doktor-Wilhelm-Külz-Straße" (should be clear) or
"Hauptstraße" (Main road) - the names are just used as the are.

> Can you tell us whether the current street indexes generated for
> German cities is correct ?

What I found looks fine.

>   See the i18_fr_generic and i18_it_generic classes in
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/i18n.py
>   for details.

Umlauts like Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü, ß (a kind of german s, very often used
with "Straße") and all the "usual" ones in names of personalities should
be transferred 1:1 to the index (just mentioning it since I saw some
accent-handling).
In Poland will surely be some Ulica Stanisław Lem (or similiar) but I
don't know about the handling of street names in Slavonic languages.

Besides, please check the original english strings for plenking¹ and
correct it. I don't know what would happen if I'd do that and upload
the corrected files into git (if I knew how)...

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenk

>Thanks a lot again!

Thanks, too, for such a nice webservice :)

Regards
malenki