[Maposmatic-dev] Migrating to the new MapOSMatic daemon

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Migrating to the new MapOSMatic daemon
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:01:38 +0100

Hi all,

I'd like a final round of review of the new daemon code (including the
two extra patches I sent after Thomas's comments), so we can move
forward with this and deploy it on dev.maposmatic.org.

Please read this email if you want to know how to use the new daemon
once the code has been merged in!

Obviously, this is a big change, and it needs a few things to be changed
on the server that require root privileges (so I'll need root access,
d2). Knowing how things work, I propose to do the deployment, following
these steps:

  * merge the OCitySMap changes from my parallelization branch into the
    master branch and push;
  * merge the MapOSMatic changes from my daemon-rewrite branch into the
    master branch and push;
  * deploy the code on dev.maposmatic.org and skip MapOSMatic daemon
    service restart;
  * cleanup the configuration files and stale files (maposmaticd.sh,
    etc) for the dev instance, and set up the new ones;
  * update the service file (needs root privileges!)
  * re-deploy to get the new service running and apache2 restarted on
    the new code;
  * make a test rendering.

Once you have updated your local maposmatic and ocitysmap repositories,
here's how to run the new daemon:

  * first, remove scripts/maposmaticd.sh
  * copy scripts/config.py-template as scripts/config.py and edit to fit
    your needs
  * then, wherever you are, run:
    .../maposmatic/scripts/wrapper.py scripts/daemon.py
  * logging goes as usual to the file specified in MAPOSMATIC_LOG.

Ideas, comments, reviews, ...?

- Maxime

--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''