Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [RFC] Query optimization and GEOS version
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:58:00 +0200

* Emilie Laffray <address@hidden> [2010-07-16 10:50:00]:

> I would advise not to upgrade to 8.4 / postgis 1.4. Frederick presentation
> showed a major regression in performance that it is solved only by the use
> of 9.0 beta and postgis 1.5. It is in theory possible to upgrade to 1.5 of
> Postgis with postgres 8.3. Etienne Chove has deployed on the free server
> postgis 1.5 on Debian.

There is indeed a 15-20% performance hit on application of daily diff
(we don't care much about the full planet import which take ages
anyway). But given the performance boost it would give us by allowing us
to perform these improved queries, I still think the pros outweight the
cons of uprading to 8.4.

We'll also be moving to minutely updates on the new server (running
8.4), which will even more minimize the time spent keeping the database
up to date.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''