Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Should place=locality index be merged with stre

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Should place=locality index be merged with street index?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:35:22 +0100

Hello Valérie-Emma,

2010/10/31 Valerie-Emma Leroux <address@hidden>:
> I haven't had time for OSM and Maposmatic for months (except mapping of
> course). Trying to catch up.
> Bravo for everything done this year.

Maxime, the other David, Thomas, Gaël and Pierre should be thanked.

> Thank you to adapt the index for rural towns, but there's quite a problem,
> because you focused on a baddly tagged town [1].
> It's place=hamlet which should be indexed with the streets.
> Place=locality could be interesting too, but it's quite rare (and by
> definition no one lives there, so rarely needed to find someone's address
> :)).
>
> If you look at my rural town on OSM [2] and the index in Maposmatic [3]
> there's quite a lack in the index :). The same for the now world-famous
> Chavagne.

Could you add the above information to the relevant task, including
the examples you find suitable for tests?
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9699

> For the precise question about the exemple "Les Trois Fontaines", of course
> that's a good idea to have them indexed as "Trois Fontaines, Les" if it's
> possible without creating new problems with street names like the already
> given "Rue La Fontaine" exemple.

I haven't thought much about it but maybe using the same index is not
such an issue.

I won't work on this before several months. Feel free to re-assign
this task to anybody willing to work on it.

Sincerely yours,
david