Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 22:39:38 +0200

Le Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:13:33 -0700,
David Decotigny <address@hidden> a écrit :

> (Catching up). Do people deploy ocitysmap/maposmatic with their
> private/own stylesheet? Or do they use what we are providing in
> ocitysmap? If we assume that stylesheets are nicely integrated with
> ocitysmap and that most people will be happy with them, I believe we
> should 1/ ship them all with ocitysmap, 2/ go away from using
> configuration files to declare them and register them in a more
> pythonic way.

No, I don't think we should ship them all within the OcitySMap source
code: the Mapnik-OSM and MapQuest stylesheets have their own
repositories, and it wouldn't be nice to duplicate them, as it would
make it more difficult to follow the upstream development.

During the hackfest, we discussed using the Git subtree functionality
to aggregate the stylesheet Git repositories into the OcitySMap
repository, but while this is doable for the MapQuest stylesheet
(maintained in a Git repository), this isn't easily possible for the
Mapnik-OSM stylesheet, which is maintained in a Subversion repository.

> For example, if we assume we ship them all in ocitysmap2/stylesheet,

I prefer the solution proposed by David Mentré, where we use symbolic
links for the external stylesheets such as Mapnik-OSM and MapQuest.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                http://thomas.enix.org