Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 09:18:57 +0200

Le Thu, 5 Apr 2012 23:32:30 +0200,
Jeroen van Rijn <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Wouldn't mocking _() work? I'm thinking this:
> - The function doesn't actually need to work to build the .po files.
> It just looks for _().
> - At the point where OCitySMap actually needs the translation,
> gettext will have been imported and overwritten the mocked _()
> - If in the former step the mocked _() persists in the instantiated
> class, some meta programming could replace the class's pointer to the
> mock _() with a pointer to the real function.

Yerk. I don't like this a lot, sounds really hackish to me and
complicated to understand. If you want to give a try at a
proof-of-concept, why not.

I still think that the proposal I did earlier this week is a simple and
reasonable proposal to solve the problem, by having the translation
done by MapOSMatic. Yes, it makes MapOSMatic having some knowledge of
the list of stylesheets and the list of layouts, but those aren't going
to change on a daily basis, and the mechanism would still work if a
stylesheet or layout was added in OcitySMap without being added in
MapOSMatic: there would just be no translation for it.

As I said, I will be offline this week-end, and we would like to put
MapOSMatic in production next week. So unless someone steps up with a
reasonable and acceptable alternate solution during the week-end (and
by solution, I mean working patches, not some code skeleton in an
e-mail), I'm going to commit my proposal (of course in the future, we
can always revert it and implement a better solution).

I am definitely not going to delay the production deployment of
MapOSMatic because of this. The features in the new version of
MapOSMatic have been implemented initially in August 2010, it's more
than time to deploy them in production.

Regards,

Thomas
--