Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] API proposal
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:00:29 -0600

Regarding: "MediaGoblin is user based but who is the user when files are
  sent in by users on a specific site? Use OAuth/OpenID? Perhaps tie
  closely with OStatus federation."

A slight amount of this distinction can be possibly handled by just
having one general user in this case, like /u/uploader/.  If the user
server doesn't really care what the username is... that way we might be
able to meet this type of need without making massive rewrites to
mediagoblin itself?

This is good food for thought... I might have more to say in a bit but I
leave it to Nathan to think it over mostly.  We might make some
distinctions between "claim" and "submission", but it's possible that
just the "management" of claims (such as expiring unclaimed media as you
described that) could be handled on the user server side of things, if
that's what you intend?

(I'm also curious what the User Server would do that MediaGoblin itself
wouldn't be doing?)

Thanks for this writeup!
 - Chris